It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:31 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:19 pm 

I wear a lot of dark colored nail polish and I am very lazy when it comes to base coat (I usually skip it) so my nails were horridly stained. They had the "finger in egg yoke" color and I really wanted to get them back to normal.
I have tried buffing them before and that works, but it also thins your nail so I decided on trying sth else.

First I tried whitening toothpaste. It did not work well. Maybe I should leave it on for longer than 5 minutes or scrub the nails longer but as I've said before - I'm lazy. I saw some improvement so maybe this would be a great solution for those who have moderately yellow nails (not me).

Then I raided my granny's bathroom and "borrowed" a denture tablet. You know, the things you drop in water and you soak your denture in to so it gets clean? Well, I soaked my nails in it (3 dl of warm water, 1 denture tablet, 10 minute soak of nails) and it worked like a charm. Nails are nice and pink again.  I am not sure if this weakens the nail at all but I doubt I did any major damage.

I recommend it!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:38 am 

Buff your nails lightly to remove small amounts of yellow discoloration.

Dissolve a denture-cleaning tablet in water and use this to soak your nails for several minutes.

Squeeze fresh lemon juice into a small bowl ,then soak your nails for a few minutes. Wash your hands and follow with a moisturizer.

Make a paste of baking powder and lemon juice and apply a small amount to each nail. Buff lightly, then wash, dry and moisturize your hands and nails.

Make a paste of three tablespoons of baking soda and one tablespoon of 3% hydrogen peroxide. Use a cotton swap to apply the paste to the tops of your nails and underneath the tips. Leave on for five minutes, then rinse off.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:50 pm 

Awesome tips, going to give these a try!

My nails are all terribly yellow at the top thanks to a recent Barry M Spring Green manicure (with base coat, I'll add! )

Have been using Seche Bright to help them look better nude, but I really want to lift the yellow completely if I can.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:33 pm 

Yeah, some polishes will stain even through base coat.
Fortunatelly us polish addicts rarely have naked nails and pretty polish covers the nasty yellow.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:41 pm 

I've left them "naked" (just with Seche Bright) for a few days, so I remember what they look like, and to give them a break too.

I'm also currently undecided which colour to paint them next, decisions decisions!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:48 pm 

I've been there! Just standing there, looking at the bottles and freaking out my family.
When I can't decide I usually go and pick out my next outfit and then a polish to go with it.
I tried asking my husband to decide for me a couple of times but his answer was always "red" and when I tried to make him pick a glittery, creme or shimmering red his eyes glazed over, so that was pretty useless.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:30 pm 

I just got a delivery of the OPI suedes, CG For Audrey, and Essie Sag Harbor, and that's too much choice. Let alone my Gosh collection.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:48 pm 

Another tip, when you use a really dark colour. Add a second layer of basecoat. I know it sounds silly, but it works wonders for me. So far very little 'yellowing' going on here and I do love darker colours.