It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:33 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Improving Nail Health
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:02 pm 

I've recently started paying more and more attention to my nails, and experimenting with different polishes etc.

Does anyone have any recommendations for daily/weekly treatments to help improve the health of your nails? I like to keep them short and square, since I'm typing all day at work, and long nails tend to get in the way, but I find that they often split and bend at the sides, specifically my thumb nails.

Since I'm perfecting my shaping and polishing, it's heartbreaking when a chunk disappears from the edge of one nail!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:25 pm 

I used to have paper thin, splitting, peeling nails and now I'm pretty happy with them, so here's what I did:

I used a nail strengtner with formaldehyde. That was to make them a bit stronger, since they were really painfully thin. Formaldehyde did make them stronger but it's not good for you and it dries out your nails in the long run so I used it for a month only, but that was enough to make a difference in strenght.
Do you buff the surface? That could also result in nails becoming to bendy.  

A good hand/cuticle cream will make a world of difference. I massage a bit of cuticle cream into my cuticles twice a day (I swear by Lush Lemmony Flutter) and use hand cream (if I remember to).

For the splits on the sides (that snag on EVERYTHING - I hate that so much), I suggest either silk wraps or Orly Nail Rescue kit. The latter is also great for peelies.

(I cheat and use tiny blops of gel topcoat - I just dab the topcoat on the tear, cure under the UV light and let the split grow out. But that's because I do my mum's gel overlays so I have all this stuff at home already.)

crystal nail file should help eliminate splits in the long run.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:27 pm 

Wow, having checked some info on the Orly Nail Rescue Kit, I'm sold, I'll be looking out for that! Thanks for the recommendation, that'll certainly help when I get splits and tears.

I use Lush Lemony Flutter as often as I remember to! I try to put it on every night before bed, but sometimes, sleep overrules and I forget. I like their Handy Gurugu hand cream too, and again, when I remember I use some of that and cotton gloves while I sleep to help keep it on my hands, and not my sheets!

I'll look into strengtheners next time I'm out shopping, and see what I can find. I know a few shops near me sell some of the Nail Envy products, and I've heard good things about those. As for a crystal nail file, I might have to look a little harder for those, we seem to just have the "sand paper" type ones here. I know there's a salon supply shop in my city somewhere, maybe they have something!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:30 pm 

Since I have recently moved, and therefore my hands have been through the wars, I'm starting over with my nails. Mostly this is because they all split or broke so badly during the packing process, that I had to cut them all down and keep them really short for weeks. Poor nails!

My heroes in this battle for new strong healthy nails are:

Original Nail Envy, and Lush's awesome Lemony Flutter. I have this handy trial size from a recent promotion, which means it can go everywhere with me! (Please excuse the teeth marks in the tin, my puppy got hold of it )

Now, I can't believe I'm posting this here, but, here goes. These are my nails today:

Stubby, stained from paper chasing, and with the most dry, ripped cuticles ever!

Hopefully my hero products will see me through, and I'll be back to pretty manicures in no time! I shall update with my progress..

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:07 pm 

Moving is a disaster on hands and nails, I know! I think that cutting your nails down before and keeping them short through the move was the best decision you could have made.
I've seen way to many ladies that try to go through a move with long nails and end up with incredible painful breaks and nail traumas.

I think your nails still look pretty good! I'm convinced that Lemony Flutter is the best thing out there for cuticles and I see many pretty manis in your near future .

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:18 pm 

Thanks Lola! They're looking better already I must say. It's weird seeing them "naked" for so long tho. This week I'm sticking with just the Nail Envy alone, no polish!! At the weekend I have a big family gathering to attend, so I'll polish up for that and hope they last the weekend! People keep commenting on the lemony fragrance around me too.  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:06 am 

LOL my dog LOVES the smell and taste of Lemony Flutter. She would see me pull the container out and run over to try and lick my fingers.
If I put my hands up she tries to get in my lap so she could reach. It's crazy. Makes me wonder what they put in it that makes it addictive to dogs, LOL.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:13 am 

Ok, I've been using Nail Envy religiously, and Lemony Flutter/Vaseline hand cream whenever I remember, for two weeks now and my nails are looking much better already!

Stil stained of course, but that's now growing out nicely, and so far *touch wood* I've had no awful splits, peels or tears! Not even any signs of one appearing which I'm really pleased about. It's time to get back into polishing properly, though I'll be sticking with Nail Envy as a base coat for the time being, at least until they've fully grown out!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:58 am 

Your nails grow so fast! And look at the difference in your cuticles! Amazing!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:09 am 

Thanks! I was pretty impressed when I saw the before and after pics at how much they'd grown. It surprised even me! Hopefully I'll now be able to keep them looking healthier and at a decent length, with no breaks!