It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:29 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:14 am 

I have nails that like to split in many different directions (verticals, layers, horizontals, you name it!), so I started using Seche Plus in October.   I was not thrilled that one of the ingredients is formaldehyde, but I figured I'd give it a try.  After about five weeks of regular use, I did not have any improvements.  I am still losing the length of my nails due to splitting.  These are my results; and I've always had "weak" nails.

Question:  Is five weeks long enough to expect results?

I am now going to try OPI Nail Envy Nail Strengthener-Sensitive and Peeling.

Last edited by Artfuldodger702 on Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:35 am 

I'm sorry to hear there's been no improvement . I really think that 5 weeks is more than enough and you should be able to see results by now.

I hope you have better luck with OPI!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:27 am 

Well, I've been using OPI Nail Envy for Sensitive & Peeling for about 2 1/2 weeks.  I see only minor improvements.  I still get some peeling at the tips; though not as much.  I think it is probably the genetic structure of my nails; my genetics working against me!  I will continue to use the product and see what happens.  It might take longer than usual for me to see major improvements... I hope there are more improvements ... hope!

Here is a picture to see what I'm dealing with...any suggestions?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:07 pm 

I also had a huge peeling problem. The only thing that worked for me was Microcell 2000 nail repair polish. I used it after reading on a forum how many ladies here are impressed with it.

It has a 2% formaldehyde so I guess it's not exactly healthy but I used it daily (you put on one coat on the first day, add another coat on the second day and take everything off and put on a fresh coat the third day) for 3 weeks and have not had nail issues since.

I think this is a German product so i'm not sure if it's available outside EU but I'm sure you could get the same result using another "nail repair treatment" with a 2%  formaldehyde.

The only thing about this product is that you need to keep it away from your cuticles or it will painfully dry them out so poish carefully. Also, because of my peelling issues I buffed the nails a lot to try and keep them looking decent. That made parts of my nails really really thin so the product actually made those parts sting a little for the first couple of days.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:04 am 

I've been using OPI for Sensitive & Peeling for at least a month.  It seems to be helping.  Less splitting, but not all gone.
I'm on the look out for Nubar strengthener.  There is a lady on Youtube that has gorgeous natural long nails and that is what she uses.
I'm not using any quick dry top coats, so no more peeling polish, but it does take longer for drying.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:17 pm 

I'm glad you found something that works - at least a little. I know how frustrating bad nails can be, especially when you love nail polish like we do!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:11 am 

I found out today from my blood test results that I have a severe Vitamin D deficiency!  A normal range minimum is "30".... mine is thirteen!
So the doctor prescribed OTC vitamin D supplement and for me to get out in the sunlight!

This could very well be why I've been having such poor nail health (and very dry skin).  Wow!  I was surprised and dissapointed that it took this long for a doctor to order a blood test for vitamin D deficiency.  I guess the others thought it was just hypothyroid issues.  Well, I'm really hoping this not only helps my overall health but solves my dry, peeling nails problem.

FYI... I've been taking OTC multivitamins for years... yet still have this deficiency.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:02 pm 

OMG, that could totally be the reason for your nail issues! I'm so glad your doctor finally found out what's wrong so you can start working on improving it!