Nail Foil

Share your free hand nail designs, your stamp design, your marbeling designs and more.

Nail Foil

Postby Artfuldodger702 on Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:52 am

I guess I've been living in a cave....I was introduced to nail stamping several weeks ago and I today just happen to come across a blog about nail foil at Nihrida.

OMG!  This is so cool!  Anyone at this forum familiar with it?

Here is a great how to video...

My main concern is the adhesive and the removal.  It states 'simply remove with nail polish remover'.  I wonder what chemicals are in the adhesive?

This must be researched!   I'm curious to see if I can stamp over the foil.
Artfuldodger702

Re: Nail Foil

Postby Sher on Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:08 pm

omg this is amazing :o
WHERE DO YOU BUY IT! lol i wanna try it
Sher

Re: Sallys Beauty for nail foils update

Postby Artfuldodger702 on Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:43 pm

Sher wrote:WHERE DO YOU BUY IT!

I read on a blog, that they claim foils are available at Sally's Beauty Supply.  

Update:  I checked and nope, not available at my local Sally's nor online store.

The only thing I found at my local store was called a "nail wrap" which looked like a foil but the adhesive was already on back of the design.  The instructions said to wrap it around the nail; rubbing would transfer it.  Only several designs to choose from; maybe I'll try it later.

Checking Sally's online I did not find foil, but I did find two top coats that claim to be... "Made specifically to bond and seal nail jewelry, striping tape, rhinestones, paper wraps and decals."  They are called "Winning Nails Tough Coat Bonder & Sealer" and "Cina Top Coat and Bonder".
Last edited by Artfuldodger702 on Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Artfuldodger702

Re: Nail Foil: October 31st updates

Postby Artfuldodger702 on Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:49 am

Okay I'm back after researching nail foil art.  Turns out that forums are saying the following...

Two formats of foil:  rolls or sheets

Pros:
Inexpensive
Easy to apply
Fun
Easy to remove (just use polish remover)

Cons:
Top coats - It appears that many topcoats (including our beloved Seche) cause wrinkling and cracking.  It is a trial and error situation that means spending money to see what works!
Without top coat the foil lasts for a few hours at best (unless you don't do anything-don't wash your hands, just don't use your hands basically!)

You can read about foiling at this forum.

Update:  Nihrida did a 5 day test.  According to her it lasted up to 5 days until she had a chip occur (and she did typical daily activities like washing dishes).  She stated she used Essence Maximum Wear top coat.  

Retailers in USA:
I have not found a local retailer here in Las Vegas that offers nail foils   Crazy consider we're talking Las Vegas people...where there are nail salons everwhere!
So, the best price I've seen online for foil is at Dollar Nail Art.  They are a susidiary company of 'A Show of Hands', located in Florida.  Minimum $25 order with CC/Paypal.
Foil adhesive if offered, but not top coat!
Another online supplier I found is Trans Design, located in Georgia.  More expensive per foil rolls, but designs appear to be different than D.Nail.Offering foil, adhesive and top coat.
Nail Supplies Direct offers foils in sheets (1/2" wide x 1 3/4" long; nail size).  Compare their cost to the rolls!However, they offer a brand name adhesive and top coat...Kami (made in USA).

Retailers in the UK:
Rio Nails.  This is the company that created the video I saw on Youtube.  What started my researching obsession!  I found it available on Amazon.com.uk which unfortunately do not ship to USA (I tried). A kit is offered as well as individual foils; and both adhesive and top coat are available!
Last edited by Artfuldodger702 on Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Artfuldodger702

Postby Lola on Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:43 am

That's too bad about the top coat.
The folis really look amazing, but if your options are to have them look god for a couple of hours or to have them cracked and wrinkled....
You're right - either we figure out a way to have them on for at least a day and looking nice or it's not really worth it.
Lola

Postby Lola on Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:07 am

I just went through Nihrida's blog and she did a test with the foils - a foil mani lasted for 4 full days on her without chipping. That's pretty good, right? And I also didn't see any wrinkles in her mani.
I'll ask her exactly which adhesive she's using and which top coat - if she answers, we can all save some money trying to find the right combo
Lola

Postby Artfuldodger702 on Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:52 pm

Lola wrote:I'll ask her exactly which adhesive she's using and which top coat -

Thanks for sharing about her experiment.  I went back and read her blog too.  I updated my post as she does mention using Essence Maximum Wear Top Coat.
I hope Seche works, cause that is what I have.  I don't want to keep buying more top coats specific for each application; I've got enough!
Artfuldodger702

Postby Artfuldodger702 on Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:18 pm

I asked some questions at other nail sites and this is a response received...

"Blackcat13pr
Says:
November 19, 2009 at 5:30 am

Hellogirls! I’ve been working with foils for years and everybody that seesmy nails go insane (even men), they really really like them. Contraryto everybody, my foils last for weeks. Even though nobody else in mycity work with foils I don’t tell anybody how I do it. In this case Iwill make an exception because just like you I spent endless hourstrying to figure out a way to make them last longer; until I finallyfound it. Here it is: Instead of using the tacky glue recomended forthe foils you will use a regular clear nail polish diluted with nailremover (acetone). You put it on your nails where you want the foil togo but instead of waiting for it to dry like with the glue, you willcount 5 seconds and put the foil on top of the enamel. Also incontradicction with the glue you do not peel the paper inmediatly,you’ll have to wait a couple of minutes for the nail enamel to dryunder the foil, then you’ll peel the paper fast. What happens is thatas the nail enamel dryes the foil sticks to it. As for the top coat Ionly have problems with the foils that are AB (Irridiscent). For therest as long as you apply the top coat in as little strokes as possibleand very fast it’s be alright. Also I found out that the nails lookbetter if you first apply a color to the nail to serve as backgroundfor the little spots you miss (black always work for me, it makes themetallic foils pop out much more. My last tip is to never apply “fastdry” enamel on top of the foil, put a regular clear nail enamel firstand then put an airbrush top coat to seal everything. If you do allthis voila! you’ll have to “die for nails” that will last for weeks andthat everybody will envy. Well I hope this will help you in your questfor beautiful nails. Good Luck."  
Artfuldodger702

Re: Nail Foil... learned how to use it with stamping

Postby Artfuldodger702 on Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:24 pm

While I was on Youtube, I happen to come across a video posted in which a woman applied nail foil to her nail stamping!  I lost track of the video; it was posted from another country (not english language).  So, after a little practice I was able to apply foil to my stamping designs!  LOVE IT!

I have pictures and a "how to" video under my "Artful's Nail Art" post, titled "Foiled Flowers".

I have yet to master using nail foil adhesive to cover the entire nail, but I'm not too concerned about that now since I can combine both foil and stamping.  I used Konad brand nail polish for the stamping and the foil adhered very well.  Next time, I will try a different brand polish for the stamping and see if the foil is fickle or will adhere with other brands.
Artfuldodger702

Return to Nail art