It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:36 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Gel nails
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:15 am 

Gel Nails are basically a gel that cures (goes hard) under a UV lamp.
You can actually buy different types, including coloured gel and gels of different strenght. You can have french, clear, or coloured and they are applied over the natural nail without damaging the nail plate.

If done correctly they usually look more natural than acrylics as they arent so thick and they are super shiny.

The gel nails are flexible and if you hit your nails on something they wont snap off and they will flex (it will still hurt!)  so your nails will last longer.
Unlike acrylics, you do not need to have them completely removed and done over every couple of weeks. I had gels for a year and had a full set done only once. I had an individual nal re-done though, bacause it broke.

Pros of Gel nails:

• The nail polish last for a long time on gel nails.
  • Gel nails give you instant nail lenght and nail strenght.
  • Gel nails often look more natural and glossy than other types of cosmetic nails.
  • The curing time is faster than acrylics, sometimes clocking in at just two minutes when light-curing is done.
  • Gel nail mixtures are odorless.
  • There is almost no filing involved during the application process.
  • If done correctly there is very little damage to your natural nail while maintaining gels.

Cons of Gel nails:

• They are not as strong as acrylic, even though they tend to cost more.
  • Gel nails are harder to do yourself if you like to do home manicures.
  • If a gel nail breaks, you may be in for some trouble. It can sometimes be more of a shatter effect than a clean break, so self-fixing a break is not usually an option. You’ll need to make an appointment right away with your manicurist. Sometimes they do break cleanly; basic nail glue could be used in that case.
  • Gel nails almost always need to be filed off. You can’t just soak them away.

Post subject: Re: Gel nails
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:34 am 

While having gel nails I bought a UV light and some primer and clear gel.

I worked in the garden a lot and hated the idea that in case of a break I would have to go to work with a busted up nail and that it will stay that way untill I can get a salon appointment. That worked great and I ended up dealing with all the little breaks or cracks myself. It did not look perfect on its own but with a little polish on top it was great.

Soon, I figured I could do 3-4 fillings myself before having to go to a salon for a "proper" filling. This actually worked and in addition to saving a lot of money I was very careful when working on my nails and I think they got less damage then in a salon.

I hated the look of out grown gels so I filled them in every week and went to a salon every 5 weeks or so. The first couple of times my salon tech had a fit and tried to convince me that I should not fill my nails with my own gel since my gel and the salon gel are not compatible but she was prooven wrong and stopped mentioning it. I really believe that the standard gels are pretty much the same and are compatible so anyone can do smaller repairs at home.

Since the price of a complete kit (lamp, gel, primer) is about the price of a full set of gel nails, I would suggest you get one and keep your nails fabulous for less money.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:48 am 

After I decided to take my gel nails off and try to make my natural nails strong and pretty I was left with the lamp and the gel.
I thought about throwing them away and I am really happy I didn't.

During the 5 months it took me to get my natural nails in good shape I had alot of painful breaks (my nails were paper thin) so I started putting a very very thing layer of gel on my tears and breaks. The layer of gel was as thin as I layer of nail polish and completely invisible.
It made the transition from gels to naturals so much easier! I was careful to put the gel only on the tears and not on the rest of the nail, so that the treatment regime I was using could still work.

Now my natural nails are strong but being an avid gardener and a clumsy person in general(), I still get breaks and tears from time to time. I read about ladies using silk wraps to patch up tears and having to change the wrap every couple of manis. Since I change my nail polish daily (can't help it, i looove my polish ) this would not work for me.

I still use the gel to patch up the tears and I even used it once to sculpt a nail tip because my nail broke and I did not want to file all the rest of my nails down to match the lenght. The gel tip was soon grown out and there was no damage on my natural nail.

For those of you that get a lot of tears, I would really suggest the gel and the lamp.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:49 pm 

First gel nails made by me :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:51 pm 

beautiful design!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:32 pm 

Very good job!  I heard the client really loved those butterflies .